The Ontario Building Code | Height of Guards
184.108.40.206. Height of Guards
(1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) to (6), all guardsshall be not less than 1 070 mm high.
(2) Allguards within dwelling unitsshall be not less than 900 mm high.
Note: On July 1, 2017, Sentence 220.127.116.11.(3) of Division B of the Regulation is amended by striking out "not more than one dwelling unit" and substituting "a houseor an individual dwelling unit". (See: O. Reg. 139/17, s. 84)
(4) Guards for flights of steps, except in required exit stairs, shall be not less than 900 mm high.
(5) Except as provided in Sentence (6), the height of guardsshall be not less than,
(a) 920 mm for required exit stairs, and
(b) 1 070 mm around landings.
(6) The height of guards for exterior stairs and landings more than 10 m above adjacent ground level shall be not less than 1 500 mm.
(7) The height of guards for stairs and landings shall be measured vertically from the top of the guard to,
(a) a straight line drawn tangent to the tread nosings of the stair, or
(b) the surface of the landing.