The Ontario Building Code | Continuity of Fire Alarm System
22.214.171.124. Continuity of Fire Alarm System
(1) Except as permitted by Sentence (6), if there are openings="http://thehandyforce.com/windows/" title ="Window installer in Toronto">openings through afirewall, other than those for piping, tubing, wiring and totally enclosed noncombustibleraceways, the requirements in this Subsection shall apply to the floor areas on both sides of the firewallas if they were in the same building.
(2) Except as permitted by Sentence (4), if a buildingcontains more than one major occupancy and a fire alarm system is required, a single system shall serve all occupancies.
(3) Except as permitted by Sentence (4), if a fire alarm system is required in any portion of a building, it shall be installed throughout the building.
(4) Except as required by Sentence (5), the requirements in this Subsection are permitted to be applied to each portion of a building not more than 3 storeysin building height, in which a vertical fire separation having a fire-resistance rating not less than 1 h separates the portion from the remainder of thebuilding as if it were a separate building, provided there are no openings through the fire separation, other than those for piping, tubing, wiring and totally enclosed noncombustibleraceways.
(5) The permission in Sentence (4) to consider separated portions of a building as separate buildingsdoes not apply to service rooms and storage rooms.
(6) Buildings interconnected by walkways permitted in Articles 126.96.36.199. and 188.8.131.52. or by vestibules provided in conformance with Article 184.108.40.206. shall be treated as separate buildings for the purpose of fire alarm installation required by this Subsection.