The Ontario Building Code | Protection of Electrical Conductors
184.108.40.206. Protection of Electrical Conductors
(1) Electrical conductors shall conform to Sentences (2) to (9) if they,
(a) are within buildingsidentified in Article 220.127.116.11. and serve,
(i) fire alarm systems, or
(ii) emergency equipment within the scope of Articles 18.104.22.168. to 22.214.171.124.,
(b) serve fire pumps required to be installed under Article 126.96.36.199.,
(c) serve mechanical systems related to,
(i) compartments referred to in Clause 188.8.131.52.(1)(b),
(ii) contained use areas referred to in Clauses 184.108.40.206.(4)(a) and (b), or
(iii) provisions of Articles 220.127.116.11. to 18.104.22.168. and 22.214.171.124., or
(d) serve emergency lighting="http://thehandyforce.com/electrical/" title ="East York Electrician">lighting described in Article 126.96.36.199.
(2) Except as required by Sentence (3) and except as permitted in this Article, electrical conductors referred to in Sentence (1) shall,
(b) be located in a service space that is separated from the remainder of thebuilding by a fire separationthat has a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 h.
(3) Electrical conductors that are used in conjunction with systems referred to in Clause (1)(c) shall,
(a) conform to ULC-S139, "Fire Test for Evaluation of Integrity of Electrical Cables", including the hose stream application, to provide a circuit integrity rating of not less than 2 h, or
(b) be located in a service space that is separated from the remainder of thebuilding by a fire separationthat has a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 h.
(4) The service spaces referred to in Clause (2)(b) or (3)(b) shall not contain any combustiblematerials other than the electrical conductors being protected.
(5) Except as permitted by Sentences (7) and (9), the electrical conductors referred to in Sentence (1) are those that extend from the source of emergency power to,
(a) the equipment served, or
(b) the distribution equipment supplying power to the equipment served, if both are in the same room
(6) If a fire alarm transponder or annunciator located in one fire compartment is connected to a central processing unit or another transponder or annunciator located in a different fire compartment, the electrical conductors connecting them shall be protected in accordance with Sentence (2).
(7) Fire alarm system branch circuits within a storeythat connect transponders and individual devices need not conform to Sentence (2).
(8) Except as permitted by Sentence (9), if a distribution panel supplies power to emergency lighting, the power supply conductors leading up to the distribution panel shall be protected in accordance with Sentence (2).
(9) Conductors leading from a distribution panel referred to in Sentence (8) to emergency lighting units in the same storeyneed not conform to Sentence (2).
3.2.8. Mezzanines and Openings through Floor Assemblies