The Ontario Building Code | Stages for Theatrical Performances
188.8.131.52. Stages for Theatrical Performances
(1) A stage for theatrical performances and ancillary spaces, including workshops, dressing rooms and storage areas, shall be sprinklered.
(2) A fire separation with a fire-resistance rating not less than 1 h shall be provided between a stage for theatrical performances and ancillary spaces, including workshops, dressing rooms and storage areas.
(3) Except as permitted by Sentence (6), a stagefor theatrical performances and ancillary spaces, including workshops, dressing rooms and storage areas, shall be separated from the seating area by a fire separation having a fire-resistance rating not less than 1 h, except for a proscenium opening protected with,
(b) an unframed fire curtain if the opening is not more than 20 m wide, or
(c) a semi-rigid fire curtain if the opening is more than 20 m wide.
(4) A fire curtain required by Sentence (3) shall be of a type designed to close,
(a) automatically upon the actuation of the sprinkler system,
(b) automatically upon actuation of the fire alarm system,
(c) manually by remote control devices located at the curtain control panel and at each side of the stage, and
(d) automatically by heat-actuated devices.
(5) At least two vents for the purpose of venting ="http://thehandyforce.com/interior/bathroom-renovations/" title ="Toronto Bathroom renovation inspiration">venting fire and smoke to the outside of a building shall be provided above a stage designed for theatrical performances and shall,
(a) have an aggregate area not less than one-eighth of the area of the stage behind the proscenium opening, and
(b) be arranged to open automatically upon actuation of the sprinkler system.
(6) The fire separation referred to in Sentence (3) is not required between a stage and a seating area in a floor area that is sprinklered, provided a sprinkler deluge system is installed at the boundary between the stage and the seating area.