The Ontario Building Code | Fire-Resistance Rating of Exit Separations
184.108.40.206. Fire-Resistance Rating of Exit Separations
(1) Except as provided by Sentences (2), (3) and (5) and Sentences 220.127.116.11.(3), 18.104.22.168.(2), 22.214.171.124.(1) and 126.96.36.199.(3), every exit shall be separated from the remainder of the building by a fire separationhaving a fire-resistance rating not less than that required by Subsection 3.2.2., but not less than 45 min, for,
(a) the floor assembly above the storey, or
(2) The fire-resistance rating of the fire separation referred to in Sentence (1) need not be more than 2 h.
(3) In a building within the scope of Article 188.8.131.52A. or 184.108.40.206A., the fire-resistance rating of the fire separation referred to in Sentence (1) shall not be less than 1.5 h.
(4) If an exit stair in an assembly hall or theatreserves more than one balcony level, the exit stair shall be separated from the remainder of the buildingin conformance with Sentence (1).
(5) The path of exit travel may lead from an exitdoor or exit enclosure through open air parking that is located below a roof or floor assembly that is part of the building served by theexit door or exitenclosure where,
(a) the portion of the path of exit travel that leads through the open air parking is not more than 9 m in length measured from the exit door to a point at ground level at the perimeter of the building,
(b) measures are taken to prevent vehicles intended to park in spaces adjacent to the path of exit travel from encroaching on the path of exit travel, and
(c) an alternate means of egress not leading through the open air parking is available from the interior side of the door opening onto the path of exit travel through the open air parking area.