The Ontario Building Code | Construction Requirements
188.8.131.52. Construction Requirements
(1) Except as otherwise required in Subsections 3.11.4., 3.11.5., 3.11.6. and 3.11.7. or otherwise exempted in Sentences (2) and (3), Class A pools and Class B pools shall be designed and constructed to comply with Sentences (2) to (26) and Articles 184.108.40.206. and 220.127.116.11.
(2) Where a Class B pool is constructed for use solely in conjunction with a club, child care facility, day camp or establishment or institution for the care of persons who are infirm, aged or in custodial care, the pool shall be exempt from the requirements of Clause (9)(a) and Sentences (13) and (14).
(3) Where a Class B pool is constructed for use solely in conjunction with an establishment or institution for the treatment of persons with disabilities or persons who are ill, the pool shall be exempt from the requirements of Sentences (6) and (7), Clause (9)(a) and Sentences (13) and (14).
(4) A public pool shall be constructed to have a water depth of not less than 750 mm except for,
(a) a modified pool,
(b) a wave action pool,
(c) a pool for therapeutic use,
(d) a beach entry ramp, and
(e) a pool described in Sentence 18.104.22.168.(1).
(5) The beach entry ramp permitted in Clause (4)(d) shall be protected with permanent barriers between 900 mm to 1 200 mm along the pool deck to prevent entry into the pool until the minimum water pool depth is 750 mm.
(6) Except for a modified pool, a wave action pool and a pool used exclusively for scuba diving, the slope of the bottom of any portion of a public pool shall not exceed,
(a) 8% where the water depth is 1 350 mm or less,
(b) 33% where the water depth is more than 1 350 mm and less than 2 000 mm, and
(c) 50% where the water depth is 2 000 mm or more.
(7) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool, where the slope of any portion of the bottom of a public pool is more than 8%, the walls of the pool shall be equipped with recessed fittings to which a safety line supported by buoys can be attached across the surface of the water and the recessed fittings shall be installed at a horizontal distance of at least 300 mm measured from the vertical projection of the top of the slope in the direction of the shallow end of the pool.
(8) Except for a modified pool, wave action pool and a pool described in Sentence 22.214.171.124.(1), the side and end walls of a public poolshall be vertical from the top of the walls to within 150 mm of the bottom except at steps or recessed ladders or in water depths of 1 350 mm or more.
(9) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool and except as provided in Sentence (11), a public pool shall be surrounded by a hard-surfaced pool deck that shall,
(a) except for a pool described in Sentence 126.96.36.199.(1), be not less than 1 800 mm wide,
(b) in the case of an outdoorref ="http://thehandyforce.com/doors/" title ="Toronto Door installer">door pool, be sloped away from the pool to waste drains or to adjacent lower ground at a slope of between 2% and 4%, and
(c) in the case of an indoor pool, be impervious and sloped away from the pool to waste drains at a slope of between 1% and 4%.
(10) Where a public pool is constructed with a ledge, the ledge shall,
(a) be placed only in parts of the pool where the water depth is 1 350 mm or more,
(b) be not more than 200 mm wide,
(d) where located on the side of the pool, be gradually tapered towards the shallow end of the pool in such a manner as to prevent a harmful obstruction, and
(e) have a band of contrasting colour along the entire juncture of the side and top of the ledge.
(11) Notwithstanding Sentences (12) to (16), where a public pool is constructed on any level surface with walls rising above that surface and has a constant water depth not exceeding 1 100 mm and a water surface area not exceeding 100 m2, the pool deck may be an elevated platform surrounding the pool if it has,
(a) an unobstructed width of not less than 900 mm,
(b) a height of at least 75 mm above grade or pavement elevation,
(c) 6 mm wide openings="http://thehandyforce.com/windows/" title ="Window installer in Toronto">openings for drainage, and
(d) a non-slip surface that is capable of being kept clean and disinfected.
(13) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool, the pool deckshall be separated from any adjacent spectator area or gallery and from any spectator access to such area or gallery by a gate or other barrier.
(14) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool, the perimeter of the pool deck shall be clearly delineated by a tactile attention indicator conforming to Article 188.8.131.52. and located where any area contiguous to the pool deck may be confused with the deck.
(16) Except for a modified pool, one or more hose bibbs shall be installed near the perimeter of the pool deck in locations convenient for flushing the pool deck.
(17) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool, where access to the pool enclosure is over any surface that is not subject to regular cleaning and sanitizing, a foot spray to wash feet by means of a spray running freely to waste shall be provided at each such access.
(18) Except for a modified pool and wave action pool, at least,
(a) one ladder or set of steps shall be provided in both the deep and shallow areas of a public pool for entry into and egress from the pool water, and
(b) one barrier-freeaccess shall be provided for entry into and egress from the water of a public pool as required by Article 184.108.40.206.
(19) The pool deck, the submerged parts of a public pool, the walls or partitions adjacent to a pool deck and the pavement or floor adjacent to a pool deck shall have surfaces that permit thorough cleaning.
(21) Except in a modified pool, a black disc 150 mm in diameter on a white background shall be affixed to the bottom of a public pool within the area of its greatest depth.
(22) A public pool shall be equipped with lockable doors or other barriers capable of preventing ="http://thehandyforce.com/interior/bathroom-renovations/" title ="Toronto Bathroom renovation inspiration">venting public access to the pool deck.
(23) Except for a modified pool, wave action pool or a pool installed at a recreational camp, a Class A pool shall be provided with,
(24) Except for a modified pool, every public pool shall display on the deck clearly marked figures, not less than 100 mm high, that set out,
(a) the water depths indicating the deep points, the breaks between gentle and steep bottom slopes and the shallow points,
(b) the words SHALLOW AREA at one or more appropriate locations, and
(25) Except for a modified pool and a pool to which Sentence 220.127.116.11.(2) applies, every public poolhaving a maximum water depth of 2 500 mm or less shall display a warning notice posted in a location clearly visible to divers on which are printed in letters at least 150 mm high the words CAUTION — AVOID DEEP DIVES or SHALLOW water — NO DIVING.
(26) Except where no space is provided between ladder treads and the pool wall, the space between the pool wall and submerged portions of any treads of a ladder for entry into and egress from the water shall be not more than 150 mm and not less than 75 mm.