The Ontario Building Code | Loads on Guards
184.108.40.206. Loads on Guards
(1) The minimum specified horizontal load applied inward or outward at the minimum required height of every required guard shall be,
(a) 3.0 kN/m for open viewing stands without fixed seats and for means of egress in grandstands, stadia, bleachers and arenas,
(b) a concentrated load of 1.0 kN applied at any point for access ways to equipment platforms, contiguous stairs and similar areas where the gathering of many people is improbable, and
(c) 0.75 kN/m or a concentrated load of 1.0 kN applied at any point, whichever governs for locations other than those described in Clauses (a) and (b).
(2) Individual elements within the guard, including solid panels and pickets, shall be designed for a load of 0.5 kN applied over an area of 100 mm by 100 mm located at any point in the element or elements so as to produce the most critical effect.
(3) The loads required in Sentence (2) need not be considered to act simultaneously with the loads provided for in Sentences (1) and (4).
(4) The minimum specified load applied vertically at the top of every required guard shall be 1.5 kN/m and need not be considered to act simultaneously with the horizontal load provided for in Sentence (1).
(5) For loads on handrails, refer to Sentence 220.127.116.11.(12).