The Ontario Building Code | Design Basis
22.214.171.124. design Basis
(1) The design of foundations, excavations and soil- and rock-retaining structures shall be based on a subsurface investigationcarried out by a person competent in this field of work, and on any of the following:
(a) application of generally accepted geotechnical and civil engineering principles by a person especially qualified in this field of work as provided in this Section and other Sections of this Part,
(b) established local practice where such practice includes successful experience both with soilsand rocks of similar type and condition and with a foundation or excavation of similar type, construction method, size and depth, or
(3) For the purpose of the application of the load combinations given in Table 126.96.36.199.A., the geotechnical components of loads and the factored geotechnical resistances at ULS shall be determined by a suitably qualified and experienced person.
(4) Geotechnical components of service loads and geotechnical reactions for SLS shall be determined by a suitably qualified and experienced person.
(5) The foundation of a building shall be designed to satisfy SLS requirements within the limits that the building is designed to accommodate, including total settlement and differential settlement, heave, lateral movement, tilt or rotation.
(6) Communication, interaction and coordination between the designer and the person responsible for the geotechnical aspects of the project shall take place to a degree commensurate with the complexity and requirements of the project.