The Ontario Building Code | Design for Deep Foundations
126.96.36.199. design for Deep foundations
(1) Deep foundation units shall be designed in conformance with Subsection 4.2.4. and this Subsection.
(2) Where deep foundation units are load tested, as required in Clause 188.8.131.52.(1)(c), the determination of the number and type of load test and the interpretation of the results shall be carried out by a person especially qualified in this field of work.
(3) The design of deep foundations shall be determined on the basis of geotechnical considerations taking into account,
(a) the method of installation,
(b) the degree of inspection,
(c) the spacing of foundation units and group effects,
(d) other requirements of this Subsection, and
(e) the appropriate structural requirements of Section 4.1. and Subsections 4.3.1., 4.3.3. and 4.3.4.
(4) The portion of a deep foundation unit permanently in contact with soil or rock shall be structurally designed as a laterally supported compression member.
(5) The portion of a deep foundation unit that is not permanently in contact with soil or rockshall be structurally designed as a laterally unsupported compression member.
(6) The structural design of prefabricated deep foundation units shall allow for all stresses resulting from driving, handling and testing.