The Ontario Building Code | Separation of Repair Garages
220.127.116.11. Separation of Repair garages
(1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) and (3), a repair garageshall be separated from other occupancies by a fire separation having a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 h.
(2) Ancillary spaces directly serving a repair garage, including waiting rooms, reception rooms, tool and parts storage areas and supervisory office space, need not be separated from the repair garagebut shall be separated from other occupancies as required in Sentence (1).
(3) Thefire separation referred to in Sentence (1) shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 h, where,
(a) the buildingis not more than one storey in building height,
(b) the buildingis operated as a single suite, and
(c) the only occupancyother than the repair garage is a mercantile occupancy.
(4) Where a building containing a repair garage also contains a dwelling unit, an air barrier system conforming to Subsection 9.25.3. shall be installed between the dwelling unit and the suite containing the garage to provide an effective air barrier to gas and exhaust fumes.
(5) Where membrane materials are used to provide the required airtightness in the air barrier system, all joints shall be sealed and structurally supported.