The Ontario Building Code | Required Smoke Alarms
126.96.36.199. Required Smoke Alarms
(1) Smoke alarms conforming to CAN/ulc-S531, "Smoke Alarms", shall be installed in each dwelling unit and in each sleeping room not within a dwelling unit.
(2) Smoke alarms required in Sentence (1) shall have a visual signalling component conforming to the requirements in 18.5.3. (light, Color and Pulse Characteristics) of nfpa 72, "National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code".
(3) The visual signalling component required in Sentence (2) need not,
(a) be integrated with the smoke alarm provided it is interconnected to it,
(b) be on battery backup, or
(c) have synchronized flash rates, when installed in a dwelling unit.
(4) The luminous intensity for visual signalling components required in Sentence (2) that are installed in sleeping rooms shall be a minimum of 175 cd.
(5) Smoke alarms required in Sentence (1) shall be installed on or near the ceiling.