The Ontario Building Code | Electrical Supervision
126.96.36.199. Electrical Supervision
(1) Electrical supervision shall be provided for a fire alarm system.
(2) If a fire alarm system in a building is required by Sentence 188.8.131.52.(1) to have an annunciator, each valve controlling water supplies in a standpipe system, except for hose valves, shall be equipped with an electrically supervised switch for transmitting a trouble signal to the annunciator in the event of movement of the valve handle.
(3) If a fire alarm system is installed in a building, an automatic sprinkler system shall be electrically supervised to indicate a supervisory signal on the building fire alarm system annunciator for each of the following,
(a) movement of a valve handle that controls the supply of water to sprinklers,
(b) loss of excess water pressure required to prevent false alarms in a wet pipe system,
(c) loss of air pressure in a dry pipe system,
(d) loss of air pressure in a pressure tank,
(e) a significant change in water level in any water storage container used for firefighting purposes,
(f) loss of power to any automatically starting fire pump, and
(g) a temperature approaching the freezing point in any dry pipe valve enclosure or water storage container used for firefighting purposes.
(4) If a fire alarm system is installed in a building, a fire pump shall be electrically supervised in accordance with NFPA 20, "Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection".
(5) If a fire alarm system is required in a building, electrical supervision shall be provided to indicate, on the fire alarm system annunciator, a loss of power to a heat tracing cable that is installed to heat,
(a) a standpipe riser,
(b) a sprinkler line as part of a fire suppression system, or
(c) an exitor means of egress to keep it free of ice and snow.
(6) In a building regulated by the provisions of Subsection 3.2.6., the indication of a supervisory signal in accordance with Sentence (3) shall be transmitted to a proprietary control centre or to an independent central station.