The Ontario Building Code | Emergency Power for Building Services
18.104.22.168. Emergency Power for building Services
(1) An emergency power supply capable of operating under a full load for not less than 2 h shall be provided by an emergency generator for,
(a) every elevator serving storeys above the first storeyin a building that is more than 36 m high measured between grade and the floor level of the top storey and every elevator for firefighters in conformance with Sentence (2),
(b) water supply for firefighting in conformance with Article 22.214.171.124., if the supply is dependent on electrical power supplied to the building, and the building is within the scope of Subsection 3.2.6.,
(c) fans and other electrical equipment that are installed to maintain the air quality specified in Article 126.96.36.199., and
(d) fans required for venting by Article 188.8.131.52.
(2) Except as permitted by Sentence (3), the emergency power supply for elevators required by Clause (1)(a) shall be capable of operating all elevators for firefighters plus one additional elevator simultaneously.
(3) Sentence (2) does not apply if the time to recall all elevators under emergency power supply is not more than 5 min, each from its most remote storey to,
(a) the storeycontaining the entrance for firefighter access referred to in Articles 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11., or
(b) to a transfer lobby.
(4) Except as provided by Sentence (5), an emergency power supply capable of operating under a full load for not less than 30 min shall be provided by emergency generator for water supply for firefighting in conformance with Article 18.104.22.168., if the supply is dependent on electrical power supplied to the building, and the building is not within the scope of Subsection 3.2.6.
(5) Sentence (4) does not apply to the water supply for a standpipe system.