The Ontario Building Code | Construction and Installation of Ducts and Plenums
18.104.22.168. Construction and installation of Ducts and Plenums
(1) Rectangular panels in plenums and ducts more than 300 mm wide shall be shaped to provide sufficient stiffness.
(2) Where the installation of heating supply ducts in walls and floors creates a space between the duct and construction material, the space shall be fire stopped with noncombustible material at each end.
(4) All round duct joints shall be tight-fitting and lapped not less than 25 mm.
(5) Rectangular duct connections shall be made with S and drive cleats.
(6) Trunk supply ducts shall not be nailed directly to wood members.
(8) Combustible ducts in concrete slabs-on-ground that are connected to a furnace supply plenumshall be located not closer than 600 mm to that plenumand not less than 600 mm from its connection to a riser or register.
(9) Ducts in or beneath concrete slabs-on-ground shall be watertight, corrosion-, decay- and mildew-resistant.
(10) Where a supply duct or return duct is not protected by an insulated exterior wall or where the duct is exposed to an unheated space it shall be insulated to provide a thermal resistance of not less than RSI 2.1.
(11) Where a supply duct or return duct is located in an unconditioned space or outdoorref ="http://thehandyforce.com/doors/" title ="Toronto Door installer">doors, all joints of the ductwork shall be sealed to a Class A seal level in accordance with the SMACNA, "HVAC Duct Construction Standards – Metal and Flexible".
(12) Where a supply duct is located in a conditioned space, the ductwork shall be sealed to a Class C seal level in accordance with the SMACNA, "HVAC Duct Construction Standards – Metal and Flexible".
(13) Underground ducts shall,
(a) be constructed and installed with a slope to provide interior drainage to all low points,
(b) not be connected directly to a sewer, and
(c) be installed and constructed of materials in conformance with ASHRAE Handbooks, SMACNA Manuals and the HRAI Digest.
(14) A clean-out or pump-out connection shall be provided in an underground duct system at every low point of the duct system.