The Ontario Building Code | Traps
(1) Except as provided for in Sentence (2), every trapshall,
(a) have a trap seal depth of at least 38 mm,
(c) have a water seal that does not depend on the action of moving parts.
(2) The trap seal depth on fixtures draining to an acid waste system shall be a minimum of 50 mm.
(a) be provided with a cleanout plug of a minimum ¾ in. sizelocated at the lowest point of the trap and of the same material as the trap, except that a cast iron trap shall be provided with a brass cleanoutplug,
(b) be designed so that the trap dip can be completely removed for cleaning purposes, or
(c) be provided with a cleanout installed above the floor as close as practical downstream of the trap when the trap is,
(i) installed below the floor, and
(ii) not readily accessible for cleaning as required by Clause (a).
(4) A bell trap or an S-trap shall not be installed in a drainage system.
(5) A drum trap shall not be installed in a drainage system.
(6) Except as permitted in Sentence (7), no bottle trap shall be used in a plumbing system.
(7) A bottle trap may be used on a laboratory sink or other fixture equipped with corrosion resistant fittings.
(8) No running trap shall be installed in a plumbing system unless an accessiblehandhole is provided for cleaning of the trap, and where the trap is too small to accommodate a handhole, a cleanout shall be provided.