The Ontario Building Code | Doors and Door Hardware
Note: On July 1, 2017, Sentence 126.96.36.199.(1) of Division B of the Regulation is amended by adding "and Sentences 188.8.131.52.(11), 184.108.40.206.(1) and (2)" after "Article 220.127.116.11.". (See: O. Reg. 139/17, s. 37 (1))
(c) not open onto a step.
(2) A door in an access to exit shall be readily openable in travelling to an exit without requiring keys, special devices or specialized knowledge of the door opening mechanism, except that this requirement does not apply to a door serving a contained use area, or an impeded egress zone, provided the locking devices conform to Sentence (6).
(4) An egress door from an individual dwelling unitor from a suite of residential occupancy is permitted to be provided with additional devices that require a releasing operation additional to the main door release hardware, provided the devices are readily operable from the inside without the use of keys, special devices or specialized knowledge.
Note: On July 1, 2017, Sentence 18.104.22.168.(4) of Division B of the Regulation is amended by adding "Except in a retirement home" at the beginning. (See: O. Reg. 139/17, s. 37 (2))
(6) A door in a means of egress serving a contained use area or an impeded egress zone is permitted to be equipped with locking devices that can be released either locally or remotely in conformance with Sentence (7) or (8).
(7) Local locking devices permitted by Sentence (6) shall be operable by a key from both sides of the door.
(8) Controls for the remote release of door locking devices permitted by Sentence (6) shall be located in an area readily available to security personnel.
(9) Locking devices permitted by Sentence (6) that are electrically operated shall be,
(a) designed to operate on emergency power, and
(b) capable of manual release by security personnel.
(a) in an elementary or secondary school,
(b) a door leading from a Group F, Division 1 occupancy, or
(c) except as provided in Sentence (11), requiring a latch release device by Article 22.214.171.124.
(11) A door in an access to exit in a gaming premise is permitted to be equipped with an electromagnetic locking device conforming to Sentences 126.96.36.199.(4) and (7).