The Ontario Building Code | Annunciator and Zone Indication
184.108.40.206. Annunciator and Zone Indication
(1) Except as permitted by Sentences (3) to (5), an annunciator shall be installed in close proximity to a building entrance that faces a street or an access route for fire department vehicles that complies with Sentence 220.127.116.11.(1).
(2) Except as permitted by Sentence (6), the annunciator required by Sentence (1) shall have separate zone indication of the actuation of the alarm initiating devices in each,
(a) floor areaso that in a building that is not sprinklered, the area of coverage for each zone is neither more than,
(i) 1 storey, nor
(ii) 2 000 m2,
(b) floor areaso that in a building that is sprinklered, the area of coverage for each zone is neither more than,
(i) 1 storey, nor
(ii) the system area limits as specified in NFPA 13, "Installation of Sprinkler Systems",
(c) shaft required to be equipped with fire detectors,
(d) air handling system required to be equipped with smoke detectors,
(e) fire extinguishing system required by NFPA 96, "Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations",
(f) contained use area,
(g) impeded egress zone,
(h) fire compartment required in Sentence 18.104.22.168.(2), and
Note: On July 1, 2017, Clause 22.214.171.124.(2)(h) of Division B of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted: (See: O. Reg. 139/17, s. 26)
(h) fire compartment required by Sentence 126.96.36.199.(2) or Sentence 188.8.131.52.(2), and
(i) fire compartment required to be separated by vertical fire separations having a fire-resistance ratingnot less than 2 h, other than dwelling unitsdescribed in Subsection 3.3.4.
(3) An annunciator need not be provided for a fire alarm system if not more than one zone indicator is required in Sentence (2).
(4) If an annunciator is not installed as part of a fire alarm system in conformance with Sentence (1), a visual and audible trouble signal device shall be provided inside the main entrance of the building.
(5) The requirements in Sentence (1) are waived in a building,
(b) that has an aggregate area for allstoreys of not more than 2 000 m2, and
(c) that is not more than 3 storeys in building height.
(6) The area limits of Clause (2)(a) are waived for an interior undivided open space used as an arena, a rink or a swimming pool provided that other spaces in the building that are separated from the open space are individually zoned in accordance with the requirements of Sentence (2).
(7) A fire alarm control unit installed in close proximity to a building entrance that faces a streetor an access route for fire department vehicles that complies with Sentence 184.108.40.206.(1), is deemed to satisfy the requirement for an annunciator provided all indicators required for an annunciator or trouble signal device are included on the control unit.
(8) In a building containing a hotel in which a trouble signal sounding device has a silencing switch, a trouble light shall be installed in,
(a) the main reception area serving the hotel, or
(b) another continually-supervised location.
(9) In a long-term care home, a remote audiovisual fire alarm trouble signal shall be located at the main nursing station.